On Oct 28, 10:58 am, "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 10:41 , Tim Abbott wrote:
>

> > On Oct 28, 1:07 pm, "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> For example "tar tf foo.spkg" works just fine on Mac OS X (10.5); and
> >> as Robert noted, you can teach the Finder with the Get-Info trick.
>
> > The issue with tar is not on whether tar -xf foo.spkg works, but
> > whether tar -xf sage_scripts<tab> will complete the remainder of the
> > filename.
>
> I think I'm missing something.  Does 'bash' know about commands and
> their "file types"?  If I type
>     tar -xf foo[TAB]
> and there's a "foo.spkg" in my working directory, I get the
> completion, unless there are several files with names beginning with
> "foo" (and then a second [TAB] gives me that list).  Does 'bash' do
> something special in that case?  Or am I missing your point?

You can use the complete command to associate binaries with certain
extensions, i.e.

complete -f -X '!*.@(dvi|DVI)?(.@(gz|Z|bz2))' xdvi

from /etc/bash_completion

> Justin

But in the end I agree with you on the "-1" on the proposed name
change. It is much less work to add instructions to the manual on how
to add association/completion for popular tools than changing the name
of the spkg extenion.

Cheers,

Michael