On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Georg S. Weber
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> Hey guys,
>>
>> having thought about it a bit more, I suddenly realized that I came to
>> like this ".spkg" extension.
>> That's purely emotional, of course.
>> But I'd surely miss it.
>
> Since this is a question about user interfaces I think emotions should
> be given a lot of weight.

Yep, emotional it is. (And I also personally like variety. In any
given week, you would find me using at least 3 different operating
systems just for my personal enjoyment :-)  So -1 to my rants above.
However, if we make a transition to the ".tar.bz2" extension or
something similar, I'd have no objection either. A rose... er... sage
by any other name still smells as sweet ;-)

But if we decide to stick with ".spkg", then I agree that we really
need to fix that chubby README.txt in spkg/standard. I'm looking at

sage-3.1.4/spkg/standard/README.txt

at the moment, but it has next to nothing about ".spkg". I don't think
the fix would be hard at all. Perhaps it suffice to include

[1] a brief description of ".spkg"; and

[2] a pointer to relevant parts of the official doc should readers
want more info on the extension.

Yeah, I want to be less confused, so I'm willing to upload a diff to

trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac

I won't do it right away because I want to know people's opinions
about the issues contained in this thread. That is, I'm still awaiting
the final resolution.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen