On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Justin C. Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2008, at 10:41 , Tim Abbott wrote:
>

>> On Oct 28, 1:07 pm, "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> For example "tar tf foo.spkg" works just fine on Mac OS X (10.5); and
>>> as Robert noted, you can teach the Finder with the Get-Info trick.
>>
>> The issue with tar is not on whether tar -xf foo.spkg works, but
>> whether tar -xf sage_scripts<tab> will complete the remainder of the
>> filename.
>
> I think I'm missing something.  Does 'bash' know about commands and
> their "file types"?  If I type
>    tar -xf foo[TAB]
> and there's a "foo.spkg" in my working directory, I get the
> completion, unless there are several files with names beginning with
> "foo" (and then a second [TAB] gives me that list).  Does 'bash' do
> something special in that case?  Or am I missing your point?
>
> Justin

Justin,

On my OS X machine I see exactly the behavior you describe
above.  On my Linux (Ubuntu) laptop, I see the behavior that
Tim describes -- where tab completion does not work.
Both boxes have bash 3.2.x, so probably somehow the
default configuration on os x and linux is different, as
explained later in this thread.

William