On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Maurizio <maurizio.gran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> would it be so much additional work to put the results in a form that
> a javascript or any other html-related language could digest?
>
> I mean, I am still in the phase of getting information, but I don't
> see how is it possible that Jmol makes possible to render complex 3d
> structures, and make zoom and pan possible (obviously not like zooming
> and panning an image) and not possible for 2d plots

It's definitely possible to implement sophisticated 2d plotting in Java.

By the way, you can sort of render most 2d plots in 3d using Jmol.
E.g., you could do:

P = plot(sin,-5,5) + plot(cos,-5,5,thickness=3,color='red')

and see a 2d plot.  If you then do,

P.plot3d(frame=False, axes=True)

you'll see the plot rendered in jmol.  Of course it's embedded in a 3d
space, so looks a bit odd.

William