would it be so much additional work to put the results in a form that
a javascript or any other html-related language could digest?

I mean, I am still in the phase of getting information, but I don't
see how is it possible that Jmol makes possible to render complex 3d
structures, and make zoom and pan possible (obviously not like zooming
and panning an image) and not possible for 2d plots

Could you explain better what do you mean by "finding the extent of a
matplotlib object"?

thanks