I totally agree with you, the power of SAGE should be primarily to
allow a transparent usage of different tools without hassles.
Provided that, anyone could be free to use different features from any
package.

But in my opinion SAGE's first aim should be to provide good
capabilities, possibly taking the best from each backend (and in my
opinion using different packages even for the same area, such as
Pynac, Sympy, Maxima, etc for the symbolic calculus)

Regards

Maurizio