Hi Maurizio,

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 00:13:10 -0800 (PST)
Maurizio <maurizio.gran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you all guys for these useful responses.
> so, I see that sympy and sympycore and pynac are coming from different
> people.
> But I assume that you have a very wide view of the actual situation,
> and this is a real added value! I mean, getting to know pros and cons
> of each technology is something that comes only from experience, and I
> would be really thankful (like many others, I am sure) if you could
> share us this!
> as I told, the symbench wiki page was really useful to me, because it
> has shown the differences in terms of performances and stability and
> confidence of the different symbolic packages.
>
> Trying to summarize, what I'd like to know (for example in the case of
> symbolic, but that's pretty general) like a normal user is:
> - which is the package with the brightest future (in terms of chance
> to be actively developed)

It is not possible to give an objective answer to this question. Only
time can tell.

> - where is each package doing is best?
> - where is each package failing in doing its job?

These are also not easy to answer. Everyone has their likes and
dislikes about different CASes. It is hard to go beyond speculation on
most topics. There are some benchmarks, such as the integration suite
compiled by Tim Daly, and scripted to run on different systems by Tim
Lahey. However, much more work needs to be done in this area.

You should also keep in mind that there are other options, such as
maxima and fricas, and the landscape is not limited to sympy,
sympycore, and Sage.

> thank you very much
>
> PS: I still can't find any piece of information about pynac, is there
> anything on the web?

Pynac doesn't have a web site yet. Once it becomes more mature, and
provides the symbolic backend in Sage, I will make a web page for it.

You can find some information about pynac on the archives of this list.
It is basically a modified version of GiNaC which doesn't use CLN and
can handle python types. William put a great deal of effort (two
weeks?) to make this happen in August. Since then I added a little
more to make it more polished/usable from Sage. I am still working to
remove the rough edges.

Note that pynac is only a library for fast symbol manipulation. The
high level functionality, like integration, equation solving, etc. will
be provided by Sage.

Cheers,

Burcin