On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Mar 30, 2:50 pm, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> I can see there might be even more Solaris issues!
>>
>> Since python 3 is not backward compatible with python 2, there could
>> be even more problems in future.
>
> Probably one could write a simple Python script that is both
> executable in Python 2 and Python 3.
> However, I share your general concerns.

For any build system stuff, I think it is trivial to write scripts
that work in python 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 3.x, etc.
Just don't use decorators, class properties, and use print as a function call.

>> Personally I would have stuck to POSIX scripts until python in Sage was
>> built.
>
> Yes.

No.

> Is it true that Python is the first thing that is built when
> installing Sage?

No, certainly not.

> If it is, then IMO there is no problem at all in using Python scripts.
> The spkg-install of the python spkg must not rely on Python, but
> everything else can use Python.

Python isn't built first.
However, there is still no problem using python in the build system.
As was pointed out above, we already do.  I would like to encourage
more use of Python.

William

--
William Stein