Yes, I wrote to Mark. I asked him for permission to post his response
in toto here. But he did not reply to that email. His response was
*very* helpful and I suspect anyone wanting to reimplement Sympow
would do well to contact Mark directly and also John Cremona.

The two important points I got from Mark's reply were:

1) Mark is definitely *not* intending to "maintain" Sympow as a
software project. He "maintains" it primarily for his own use, and if
it runs on his machine that is enough for him.

2) The modular degree stuff, in the range that it is feasible, would
probably work just fine if we ditched the QD stuff and just replaced
it with doubles. If this is all we really require from Sympow, it
makes good sense to do this. Long doubles are evil!

Bill.