On Sep 11, 1:31 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Buthttp://r.research.att.com/tools/#gcc42provideshttp://r.research.att.c...
> > which will do the installation of "10.4u", whatever this means,
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure what this is either,
>
> > Apple's SDK with gcc42 and gfortran42.
>
> > So yes, it's the missing gcc42 for MacOSX 10.4, u(nstable?)
> > IMHO for that few 10.4 systems that are left around, it's good enough
> > - it's certainly no worse than using some rather
> > old (4.0) version of gcc...
>
> Do you think it will be possible to install this side-by-side with the
> Xcode?  I'm just scared that I'll hose my compiler by downloading
> this :(

yes, I think it is jolly possible; it's just a tar file, so you can
have a look what you get. As far as I can see no Xcode files get
overwritten.

> > > but I would be very
> > > happy if that were the case.  But ADC says "This release provides
> > > additional GCC and LLVM compiler options, general bug fixes, and must
> > > be installed on Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5.0 and higher."  And in the
> > > documentation it says "Xcode 3.1.2 is compatible with Intel and
> > > PowerPC Macs running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard."  You can develop for
> > > Tiger with it (even for Panther!) but can't actually run it
> > > (apparently) on Tiger.  Also, one apparently can't even try, as only
> > > Leopard supports having multiple Xcode installations.
>
> > > :(

> > > Just on the off chance you've tried this successfully... Is it
> > > relatively trivial to get it to use gcc 4.2 only?  I would be
> > > comfortable with requiring *developers* to have a later Xcode
>
> > It's trivial (on 10.5, but same should certainly apply to 10.4u).
> > E.g one can change the links in /usr/bin manually (i.e. gcc there is a
> > link to gcc4.0, so you change it to gcc4.2, and the same for cc and g+
> > +).
>
> Ok, you've already lost me at "change the links in /usr/bin manually",
> though maybe I can figure it out.

on the Xcode version I have (3.1.2) gcc, etc are just symbolic links:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       7 Sep 10 17:50 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.2
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   93088 Feb  5  2009 /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  105680 Jul  7  2009 /usr/bin/gcc-4.2

$ ls -l /usr/bin/*fort*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      12 Sep 10 17:55 /usr/bin/gfortran ->
gfortran-4.2
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   96136 Jan 26  2010 /usr/bin/gfortran-4.2
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  519200 Jan 26  2010 /usr/bin/i686-apple-
darwin9-gfortran-4.2.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  523296 Jan 26  2010 /usr/bin/powerpc-apple-
darwin9-gfortran-4.2.1

In order to get this, I did
cd /usr/bin
sudo ln -sf gcc-4.2 gcc
sudo ln -sf gcc-4.2 cc
sudo ln -sf g++-4.2 g++
sudo ln -sf gfortran-4.2 gfortran

That's it. (I don't know how to set this up in Xcode's GUI, but it's
not needed for Sage).
There are other ways: e.g. you can put these links to gcc-4.2 etc to
another directory that comes ahead of /usr/bin
in your PATH. Then, as long as your PATH is set this way, calling gcc
would call gcc-4.2

In order to switch back to gcc4.0 I  can do
cd /usr/bin
sudo ln -sf gcc-4.0 gcc
sudo ln -sf gcc-4.0 cc
sudo ln -sf g++-4.0 g++

Well, if you managed to nuke your Xcode you could always reinstall...

> But more practically, would I have
> to do some variable exporting before doing Sage?  Or would this alone
> make everything go solidly?
> What about for the Fortran part?

the above fixes it. I noticed one minor problem with this gfortran:
one needs to specify
the location of libgfortran.a when using it as a linker, but that's
also trivially done.

> Or, again, maybe we could provide the 4.2 binary and the gfortran
> binary directly inside Sage, and use that for all gcc and cc and g++
> and whatever else there is that I don't know about...
>
> Anyway, changing how we support a particular platform probably
> deserves more discussion than its received on this thread, so for now
> I'll wait to see if it worked for you to use this toolkit to build
> Sage successfully (e.g. 4.6.alpha0) and then maybe I'll take a leap on
> *one* of my 10.4 boxes to see if it works.

Sure. I'll keep you posted on this.

Dima