On Sep 10, 8:53 pm, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2:36 am, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > After some trial and error, I came
> > acrosshttp://r.research.att.com/tools/#gcc42
>
> I mentioned this link in one of my (many) posts on this thread - sorry
> if I didn't highlight it more.
>
> > that describes a process of building gfortran using Xcode gcc-4.2
> > (available since Xcode release
> > 3.1.1, at least --- current is Xcode 3.1.4 released Sept 2009).
> > This will work on both PPC and Intel Macs running at MacOSX version
> > 10.5 or higher.
>
> 10.5 isn't a problem, as you pointed out; we apparently already use
> gfortran there.

no, why? I don't think so. I have a 32-bit PPC system running 10.5,
and there is no gfortran for it in the
fortran spkg. If I don't provide any gfortran, I get g95 installed as
sage_fortran.

So for the experiment using gfortran from
http://r.research.att.com/tools/#gcc42,
I changed the fortran spkg to do check for and install the system
gfortran as sage_fortral, as it is done
on Linux. (The results will be known in several hours, it's a slow
machine...)

Maybe, on OSX 64-bit systems, as one can gather by looking at fortran
spkg, the
fortran spkg installs gfortran.
I don't know about 10.6 - are they 64-bit only?

> > I imagine this can be put into the fortran spkg.
> > There are also instructions for MacOSX 10.4 (the Apple's gcc is older
> > there, so the patch is different...)
>
> This is what I would be interested in figuring out how to do, even
> with help, if that really helped things (again, see #9808; I agree
> with drkirkby that just to remove a few checks it isn't worth dropping
> a platform, though it sounds like he's also right about ATLAS checks
> being irrelevant).
>
> > Instead of this, it looks easier to require gfortran from the above be
> > installed (they provide binaries), just
> > as gfortran is required on Linux.
>
> As I point out in an earlier post, it isn't clear whether one can get
> "just" the fortran compiler out of the Tiger binaries, because they
> provide a custom gcc 4.2 - but Tiger in general only ships with
> 4.0.1.

as far as I know, Xcode 3.1.2 runs on 10.4 and ships gcc 4.2 as well
as gcc 4.0.
They dropped a shell routine gcc_switch (or something like this)
that allowed one to switch between gcc's. But this is still trivial to
overcome,
by creating appropriate links (this can be done by the spkg-install in
$SAGEROOT/local/bin)

So we can require that Xcode is upgraded to the right version.

> Some snooping indicates that one can use the gfortran 4.0.3
> with gcc 4.0.1, but unfortunately FSF doesn't seem to provide its
> "prerelease" gfortran 4.0.1/3 available anywhere (Wikipedia says this
> was considered an alpha of sorts, though I don't know if this is to be
> trusted).

As I said above, we do not need to mess around with gcc 4.0 any more.

Dima