> Buthttp://r.research.att.com/tools/#gcc42provideshttp://r.research.att.com/tools/gcc-4.2-5566-darwin8-all.tar.gz
> which will do the installation of "10.4u", whatever this means,

Yeah, I'm not sure what this is either,

> Apple's SDK with gcc42 and gfortran42.
>
> So yes, it's the missing gcc42 for MacOSX 10.4, u(nstable?)
> IMHO for that few 10.4 systems that are left around, it's good enough
> - it's certainly no worse than using some rather
> old (4.0) version of gcc...

Do you think it will be possible to install this side-by-side with the
Xcode?  I'm just scared that I'll hose my compiler by downloading
this :(

> > but I would be very
> > happy if that were the case.  But ADC says "This release provides
> > additional GCC and LLVM compiler options, general bug fixes, and must
> > be installed on Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5.0 and higher."  And in the
> > documentation it says "Xcode 3.1.2 is compatible with Intel and
> > PowerPC Macs running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard."  You can develop for
> > Tiger with it (even for Panther!) but can't actually run it
> > (apparently) on Tiger.  Also, one apparently can't even try, as only
> > Leopard supports having multiple Xcode installations.
>
> > :(
>
> > > and ships gcc 4.2 as well as gcc 4.0.
>
> > Just on the off chance you've tried this successfully... Is it
> > relatively trivial to get it to use gcc 4.2 only?  I would be
> > comfortable with requiring *developers* to have a later Xcode
>
> It's trivial (on 10.5, but same should certainly apply to 10.4u).
> E.g one can change the links in /usr/bin manually (i.e. gcc there is a
> link to gcc4.0, so you change it to gcc4.2, and the same for cc and g+
> +).

Ok, you've already lost me at "change the links in /usr/bin manually",
though maybe I can figure it out.   But more practically, would I have
to do some variable exporting before doing Sage?  Or would this alone
make everything go solidly?  What about for the Fortran part?

Or, again, maybe we could provide the 4.2 binary and the gfortran
binary directly inside Sage, and use that for all gcc and cc and g++
and whatever else there is that I don't know about...

Anyway, changing how we support a particular platform probably
deserves more discussion than its received on this thread, so for now
I'll wait to see if it worked for you to use this toolkit to build
Sage successfully (e.g. 4.6.alpha0) and then maybe I'll take a leap on
*one* of my 10.4 boxes to see if it works.

- kcrisman