After some trial and error, I came across
http://r.research.att.com/tools/#gcc42
that describes a process of building gfortran using Xcode gcc-4.2
(available since Xcode release
3.1.1, at least --- current is Xcode 3.1.4 released Sept 2009).
This will work on both PPC and Intel Macs running at MacOSX version
10.5 or higher.
I imagine this can be put into the fortran spkg.
There are also instructions for MacOSX 10.4 (the Apple's gcc is older
there, so the patch is different...)

So yes, it seems that g95 can be dropped this way, but this is a
considerable amount of work.
The amount of work would decrease if we drop MacOSX 10.4 from the list
of supported OSes...

Instead of this, it looks easier to require gfortran from the above be
installed (they provide binaries), just
as gfortran is required on Linux.
I am trying out the latter route right now, and will report on it
here.

Dima