Hi Francois,

let's move the discussion to sage-devel.

For reference: We have been talking about replacing the sage build
system with the gentoo package manager and ebuilds via gentoo prefix:

https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/52#issuecomment-982600

Francois Bissey wrote:
> We shouldn't continue the discussion here but at least its documented. Yes
> you can relocate a prefix on some platform (I am not sure you can easily on
> aix but we are not too concerned by that).
>
> But I think if we want to replace the spkg system by ebuilds we could go some
> other ways.
>
> - using host gcc with a set of flags in a special sage profile that would
> mimic some of the set up in numerous spkg.  - use Volker's gcc wrapper to use
> the host gcc and create a relative prefix instead of fixed one. I think we
> have a fixed prefix because a relative one would be hard to set up on some
> platforms.

When I saw Volker's message, I also started thinking of using these wrappers
instead of gcc. Is there a virtual/compiler etc. we can provide in a gccwrapper
ebuild to make this work seemlessly? Or do we still need to add gcc to
packages.provided?

> The main difficulty becomes the bootstraping we need to get a working
> prefixed python in a seamless fashion.

+1. I will try to make a tarball which handles bootstrapping a sage-prefix. :)

I don't have much experience with gentoo-prefix yet, so it might take a while
before I get a handle on things.

> There are other issues. The current overlay provides an alternate way of
> building sage already but it is not as lightweight as you'd like.

This is something that needs to be changed "upstream", in Sage, anyway. There
were comments on sage-devel about changing the way the library is built so
that it works without a separate build directory.

> Aside from that it is not as developer friendly as vanilla sage. You cannot
> apply a patch and do "sage -b". Effectively to apply a patch I change the
> ebuild and do the equivalent of "sage -ba". On the other hand upgrade always
> works :)

Can't we tell emerge to "keepwork" and allow people to "make install" from the
work copy? I guess this means overriding the sandbox setup somehow.

If we place the working copy in a more visible place, like ${EPREFIX}/devel,
this would match the current development model. This would also allow people
to easily develop other packages in Sage.

Cheers,
Burcin