On Apr 12, 4:24 pm, Keshav Kini <keshav.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, this sounds really interesting. IMHO replacing our homegrown SPKG
> system with a more general and commonly used system would be great. Reusing
> code, and all that. It would also allow us to use the power of `emerge -C`
> to, say, uninstall SPKGs (though I'm not sure how exactly it works - looking
> at the Gentoo documentation about ebuilds, it doesn't seem like the ebuild
> file specifies exactly how to uninstall... does `emerge` just guess based on
> what the install script put into the system, what to take remove from it?)

Right! For example, I installed sage with:

  emerge -va sage

which displays a list of packages (in that case sage and its
dependencies) that are about to install if I press enter ("-a" = ask),
how much will be downloaded (-v = verbose) and which options are used
(in Gentoo-speak: USE-flags, e.g. sage can be installed with/without
latex, examples and the testsuite).

Unistallation happens with "emerge -C sage" which removes only the
package specified - "emerge --depclean" can be used to safely remove
unused dependencies.

> From your discussion on github, though, I take it we'd actually be forced to
> ship our own compilers and everything, because gentoo-prefix just works that
> way. Is that right? (After all, gentoo-prefix is supposed to basically be
> the install system for an OS distribution, not just a group of packages...)

Yes, without work you are forced to install things such gcc, perl and
autotools and so on. But there are ways to circumvent this - I am
curious if this is feasible.