> Hi Francois,

> > Aside from that it is not as developer friendly as vanilla sage. You
> > cannot apply a patch and do "sage -b". Effectively to apply a patch I
> > change the ebuild and do the equivalent of "sage -ba". On the other hand
> > upgrade always works :)
>
> Can't we tell emerge to "keepwork" and allow people to "make install" from
> the work copy? I guess this means overriding the sandbox setup somehow.
>
> If we place the working copy in a more visible place, like
> ${EPREFIX}/devel, this would match the current development model. This
> would also allow people to easily develop other packages in Sage.

Hi Burcin,

it would be complicated and requires that we change the current setup.
We currently don't ship the hg tree at all. We disable -b -ba and -upgrade.
Reenabling any of these will negate the benefit of having a package manager.
That is you will get files that are not tracked anymore which may wreck
upgrades. Or you would have to be careful to always do your patching in a
clone remembering that the clone will be untracked from the portage point of
view.
Note that we already have a hg-less devel tree so that we can run the test
suite (USE=testsuite) but unlike normal sage it is not linked to python/site-
packages/sage.

Of course everything is a matter of choice between various trade-off so you
could have to give up something one way or another.

Francois

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.