> Having a working Gentoo-prefix that one could use if the host system's
> toolchain is broken already would be very interesting.
>
> But when I played around with it I ran into some library problems. For
> example, gmp/mpir would be installed twice (host and gentoo prefix),
> potentially mutually incompatible versions. Sometimes configure scripts
> look in the wrong place, for example. Its no insurmountable problem, but I
> never managed to recompile the whole prefix with itself.

That would definitely be bugs. If you don't care about submitting bugs you can
always forward me your problems and I'll work on a solution and get it
reported in the appropriate place. prefix is definitely a work in progress and
there are rather nasty corners, especially when you stray off linux to other
platforms.

But you raised the gmp/mpir issue that I think should be mentioned.
In sage-on-gentoo we use gmp rather than mpir. It's a technical choice.
gmp and mpfr (and now mpc) are system packages required to build gcc.
Almost no packages in sage have ported to mpir, rather sage relies on mpir
installing compatibility (or fake) headers and libraries. This is a problem on
gentoo unless we ask the toolchain team to switch to mpir. Somehow I don't
see that happening soon unless upstream gcc itself makes it an option.
Porting all the stack of software to pure mpir is possible but then we'd also
need a mpir enabled mpfr separate from the system one... in short the
KISS solution is to stick to gmp.

I could provide a "small" tree that would let you build the system with mpir,
that could be an interesting experiment.

On the other hand if we go anywhere with the experiment of using a reduced
portage with gcc wrappers there would be no problems of collision between gmp
and mpir.

Francois

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.