> Hi Burcin,
>
> it would be complicated and requires that we change the current setup.
> We currently don't ship the hg tree at all. We disable -b -ba and -upgrade.
> Reenabling any of these will negate the benefit of having a package manager.
> That is you will get files that are not tracked anymore which may wreck
> upgrades. Or you would have to be careful to always do your patching in a
> clone remembering that the clone will be untracked from the portage point of
> view.
> Note that we already have a hg-less devel tree so that we can run the test
> suite (USE=testsuite) but unlike normal sage it is not linked to python/site-
> packages/sage.
>
> Of course everything is a matter of choice between various trade-off so you
> could have to give up something one way or another.
>
> Francois

Hi all,

thanks for this highly motivating thread! It seems there are a handful
people interested, and I'm happy to join in. My goal might seem at
first pretty moderate: Identify the mutual benefits of Sage and Gentoo
(especially Gentoo Prefix), and write this down somewhere at an easily
accessible place (e.g. the Sage Wiki, maybe as some "SEP" --- Sage
Enhancement Proposal). We should take great care that we do write down
and communicate the discussions, results, proposals agreed (at least
among the participants) upon, sample code/installations, links, and
such.

Although Gentoo Prefix is by far more mature than Sage (and so the
benefits for Sage are surely much greater, than possible synergies for
Gentoo Prefix), I think I can identify some points where Gentoo Prefix
might eventually profit, too. See e.g. the Gentoo (Alt) Prefix mailing
thread containing the following message (Fabian Groffen does know what
he talks about, but it would be good to have at least the hard facts
clearly documented, and easily accessible):

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_3e0aa31ec42c917484e6b0f86ffa5f2a.xml

or the current lack of Gentoo Prefix "binary distributions" resp. the
need of external support to do the "very first start up" (since
bootstrapping ain't really for the faint-hearted --- I did that myself
successfully on Maemo5, OS X 10.4 and OS X 10.6, but I'm a developer,
not a "mere user"), see e.g.:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/

One last thing about "sage -clone, -b, -ba, br, ..." --- from my
memory about several discussions, the sage community regards this as a
"killer feature", i.e. that there is not some "sage" and then some
other, different "sage-dev" package/distribution, but only one. So the
hurdle for any user to gradually become a developer is made as low as
possible. I have some rough ideas how to make this possible "inside" a
standard distribution with also an eye on reliable package management,
i.e. not restricted to Gentoo/Gentoo Prefix, but also Debian and so
on. But these ideas would need thorough discussion.

Cheers,
Georg