On Tue, 3 May 2011 20:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
François <francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> On May 4, 7:58 am, Maarten Derickx <m.derickx.stud...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On May 3, 7:23 pm, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
> >
> > >   IIRC, there were messages on this list about having python as a
> > >   dependency already. What are the dependencies of Sage besides
> > > tar, gcc and gfortran? Does Sage depend on bash?
> >
> > It definitly depends on bash, there are a lot of bash scripts it
> > uses (even for starting sage). To get an idea of which scripts all
> > use bash do for example.
> >
> > grep -r $SAGE_ROOT/local/bin bash
>
> I think we were discussing python as a dependency when talking about
> including
> patch. There was some motion to use hg instead but that introduced
> circular
> dependencies on python. To find out what's really needed apart from
> bash
> we have to look at prereq and what it is checking for.
> config.ac in prereq is checking for compilers (c,c++ and fortran),
> YACC and LEX (or functional equivalents), ar, m4, ranlib, ld,
> perl-5.8.0+ (for building R).
> A lot of these will be brought in by the prefix unless we require them
> and
> put them in package.provided.

I didn't know perl was a requirement. Anybody want to add to this? :)

I think they should be in package.provided to keep in line with Sage.

Does anyone have trouble installing these on their system before Sage?
I suppose this is not the right place to ask this question, since most
developers would have gone past that step long ago. :)

The python dependency also came up when discussing its use in
spkg-install scripts, for example in ATLAS. ATM, ATLAS spkg depends on
the Python spkg for this reason.

Cheers,
Burcin