On Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:06:53 PM UTC-8, William wrote:

> Can somebody help me count the votes?   I made pass through this long
> and complicated thread, and here's what I seem to have got.

I'm -1 to an "enforcable" code of conduct. In extreme cases (which haven't
happened) a list administrator could temporarily ban someone. The natural
outrage such an action is bound to have is, in my opinion, a good deterrent
on using it. I explain my motivation below.

>From the information I see, sage-devel is behaving like most online forums.
Most of the discussion is civil and productive, but there is the occasional
derailing. As far as I know, this happens on any forum of reasonable size,
unless there is heavy moderation (which would slow down and defeat the
purpose of sage-devel). I think sage-flame was a nice invention and has
helped in controlling signal-to-noise on sage-devel in the past. It hasn't
been used so frequently recently.

If I'm right that sage-devel is not particularly hostile (for the most part
it's pretty good in my opinion), then I don't think implementing a code of
conduct "with teeth" is going to improve the situation significantly.
Having guidelines for conduct easily available might help in showing
newcomers that we care. A perceived offender can be pointed to it too to
make the person aware how other people are perceiving his tone.

I think  the most effective way of establishing the community we want is by
leading by example. That already happens quite a bit.