I think Robert makes a very important pint here which I would like to
highlight (as I must confess that I have stopped reading all of every
post in this thread...):

****> makes it clear that I am not making a request on behalf of myself,
****> rather on behalf of the entire community. (Corollary, if you think
> your behavior is acceptable to the majority of the community, call for
> a vote to change the code. That'll be pretty rare...)

Having something like this code to point to when politely objecting to
something posted allows us to make such objections on behalf of the
community.

John