From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:sal...@woodstone.nu] On Behalf Of
Chris Mang
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 14:01
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: RE: [SA-list] Application - False Positives

Anthony,

I’ve had similar situations.  Setting the timeout value to a higher
number never fixed the issue.  What would happen is that I would get a 1460,
but the Roundtrip time displayed in the GUI was less than my timeout value.
This led me to believe that the process (or machine) I was checking was giving
SA that response (SA checks the process, and process or server responds with
“No way, dude.  I’m too busy right now”) because the result
happened BEFORE the timeout value set in SA.

In every case, restarting the server being checked resolved the issue, at least
temporarily.  If the problem persisted, we would talk to whoever was
responsible for the process and let them know there was a problem.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it’s worked for us for years.  We
strongly resist the urge to change the settings on the check to reduce alerts.
I say that because it is an easy trap to fall into.  SA sends out alerts based
on the results of each check.  If the results don’t meet the criteria of
the check, SA squawks because that is what it is supposed to do.  You
shouldn’t adjust SA to reduce DOWN alerts just for the sake of reducing
alerts.  You should only adjust the checks after evaluating WHAT is being
reported.  Is it really a problem?  If not, adjust the check.  If it is a
problem, fix the problem.

That’s my two cents (maybe a little more than two).

Chris>>