Colin Piggot wrote:
>> It occurred to me that with SimCoupe we could overclock the machine
>> and code up stuff that wouldn't have been possible on the 6MHz Sam
>> (except possibly with the accelerator board, of course!). Do people
>> think this destroys the heritage of the machine or is it something
>> they'd be happy to see (especially if we did restrict it to what's
>> possible with upgraded hardware)?
>
> Hmmm... the temptation would be there to run SimCoupe at higher
> speeds, and yes great things could be done... but it would lose the
> feel of the real machine along the way.

I don't know - I agree that the feel of the machine would change if you
started cheating by adding in direct access to PC hardware or something to
get better graphics or sound, but if it's literally just the same but faster
(say equivalent to a 12MHz z80) and is achievable with an expansion board on
the original hardware, it's no different to having an emulator with support
for a hard disk, or a built-in debugger (*cough*, Simon).

> What happened to it ... long forgotton in the land of projects not
> finished... Unfortunately along with Simon and Martin's other
> projects - the MultiROM, the MiDGET, and dare I say it ... oh go on
> then..... Statues of Ice!

Heh. If Andrew's site comes back up in the near future I'll have a play with
pyz80, then Statues might still see the light of day :) :) :)

Alternatively I might just write the shoot-em-up I always wanted but
couldn't be bothered with...

It's up now, actually. Now I have to get python :(