 Subject : RE: [scifinoir2] Stephen Baldwin (was Dragon Wars)

 Date : Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:49:43 -0500

 From : Aubrey Leatherwood <aubrey.leatherw...@hotmail.com>

 To : <scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com>

ROFL! I'm going to give this one a shot at an answer.

 I'm watching because depending on what I'm doing, I may be in search of white
noise. Some people have loud boisterous homes... I do not, at least unless it's
the weekend and there are professional sports to be had. So I figure I'll put
it on something that is somewhat interesting but doesn't require too much of my
attention. Sometimes, that works in reverse. The shows are so freaking bad that
they *steal* my attention... Does that make sense?Aubrey
Leatherwoodwww.aubreyleatherwood.comFaceBook * MySpaceThe People You Know, The
Sex They HaveROMANTIC TIMES NOMINEE FOR BEST CONTEMPORARY EROTICA 2008ISBN:
978-0-9818905-0-0Lyrical Press. Inc

To: scifino...@yahoogroups.comfrom: tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.comdate:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:07:16 -0800Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] Stephen Baldwin (was
Dragon Wars)

Why are you guys watching this stuff?!?!?!? ? :-)-----Original
Message-----From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:scifino...@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of keithbjohn...@comcast.netsent:
Monday, January 26, 2009 4:36 PMTo: scifino...@yahoogroups.comsubject: Re:
[scifinoir2] Stephen Baldwin (was Dragon Wars)What is "Dead and Deader". And
"Basilisk"? Are you serious? It's worth awatch?I meant "Dragon Wars", not
"Dragon Storm", as a "walk out" flick. What is"100 Million B.C."? Is it that
God-awful film with Edward Burns about theteam that goes back in time to save a
comrade? And "Pterodactyl"! That's theone! The one with Coolio as a special ops
commander! Man, just seeing him inthat had me laughing my arse off!Now that
we're on it, there are a couple of other films SciFi shows that arepretty good
camp fun. One is about a group of nubile young co-eds at acollege campus in the
Northeast. The lovely young lasses seem to be too goodto be true to the young
men they vamp, until it's !
 revealed they're alienswho are feeding on the hapless stooges. I seem to
remember they chose thelocation because it's really cold, and they're from an
ice-bound planet. Iwant to say Nicole "Charles in Charge" Eggert is one of the
stars. It'sreally silly fun, especially when the girls start sprout tentacles
and theirwould-be paramours start bugging out!Oh--and I wish I could take
credit for "Even if you're on a plane, walkout". But no, it's the movie review
given to the worst movies in theAtlanta-based indie newspaper Creative
Loafing.-------------- Original message ----------------------From: "Martin
Baxter" > Alright, I'm chiming in.> > Worth a Mistie Watch> > Dead and Deader>
Basilisk: The Serpent King> Dragon Sword> Dungeons &amp; Dragons: Wrath of the
Dragon God Lake Placid (on loop!)> 10.5 Apocalypse (Dean's magic makes it all
better)> > > > "Even if you're on a plane, walk out" (LMNAO, BTB!) Kaw ("Never
more", > to quote Poe) Dragon Wars (sooner have my eyes burnt fro!
 m their > sockets with white-hot> needles)> ANYTHING with the name Uwe
 Boll attached Wraiths of Roanoke (even the > dead folks in the movie asked to
have their names removed from the > credits) A Sound of Thunder (always thought
that it was more boomy and > less sucky) 100 Million B.C. (all that time... one
would think they > would've gotten it right at some point...)> Rise: Blood
Hunter (vampyr everywhere protested the making of this, > regardless of the
potential risks) Rock Monster (shuddering) > Pterodactyl (any movie in which
Coolio is the best actor in the cast?) > Abominable (aka The Movie Which Lives
Up To Its Name)> > (LNAO, more to come)> > > > > > ---------[ Received Mail
Content ]----------> > Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Stephen Baldwin (was Dragon
Wars)> > Date : Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:09:33 +0000> > From :
keithbjohn...@comcast.net> > To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com> > > Hey, that's
cool. the real trick is knowing which B- movies are really > fun camp for the
ages, and which are just crappy schlock.> > What we need to do, gang, is st!
 art rating these movies for each other > on that level. See, as Martin just
did, showing me that at least this > Dean Cain flick is a good time-waster.
I've seen others of his that > are just plain bad. There was one where he was a
security chief in an > underground facility creating dinosaurs from old DNA.
(And isn't Cain > always playing a security chief or soldier in a top-secret
facility?) > One of the baddies got loose and started having human snacks. It
was > so bad because the CGI was horrible, and the used the *exact> same* scene
for every appearance of the creature! It was running down > this curving
hallway, and every single time the monster was shown, it > was the exact same
loop of film. So bad it wasn't even good camp.> > So we'll do that. Whoever has
sat (suffered) through a SciFi flick can > rate it on "camp" or MST3K factor,
so the others can know if it'd be a > great laugh riot on a cold winter's day,
or just a woefully bad piece > of CGI-filled dreck that'!
 s not even worth watching for derision.> > And on that scale, I can dr
op a couple of films like that:> > Worth a Mistie watch:> > Rock Monster
(though I don't know why, it makes me life) The Beast of > Bray Road (that
urban werewolf legend in film) Leprechaun - yes I said > it. Horrible, horrible
film, but Warwick Dunn (?) makes me laugh as > the creepy killer sprite. This
ain't your daddy's Lucky Charms!> Dragon Sword (I think) - it's the one with
Patric Swayze. Again, a bad > movie, but acting is just good enough (it has
many established actors) > to make it dumb fun Epoch - The first couple of
these movies about > some alien rock thingie activating on Earth may be a bit
befuddling, > but star David Keith helps make 'em watchable Alien Lockdown
(think > that's it) - there's one or two of these flicks about a monster loose
> on an orbiting prison. I think one stars Christopher Lambert. Dumb > fun.>
Frankenfish - not sure why I laughed at this one, it's one of the worstever. >
But watching these idiot young people run from a stupid killer fish!
  in > the Louisiana Bayou had me rolling> > > > And from the "Even if you're
on a plane, walk out" category:> > Dragon Storm - I just wailed on it. American
90210 clones as > reincarnation of Asian warriors and royals? 'Nuff said.>
Gargoyles -- not the Cornel West camp classic--that one had great > makeup and
high fun, camp factor. The recent remake overflowing with > cheap CGI Harpies -
Bad acting, lackluster action, bad CGI Gryphon - > Bad acting (though it has
established actors like Larry Drake and > Anthony LePalia's younger brother),
lackluster action, bad CGI That > Francis Drake movie --came out last week
starring Adrian "Highlander"Paul.> It was awful! The CGI ships and ocean
sucked, the characters were pitiful.> > There are many, many more. Basically
almost every SciFi Original > that's loaded with cheap CGI instead of good
scale models or live > action shots, just sucks> > > > > > > --------------
Original message ----------------------> From: "Martin Baxter" > >!
  Keith, you may look askance at this, but I'm *good* with Dean Cain >
> in such movies. I think that, instinctively, he knows that these are > >
> B-moives, and> gives> > them the full camp effect. One of those movies aired
> last weekend onSkiffy. > > Can't remember the title, but he played an Army
> officer leading a > > Delta team into a Central American country to find the
> members of a > > research team that hadn't answered calls. They were working
> on an > > experimental medicine that created zombies. I was foing to pass on
> t > > until I heard that Dean was> starring. > > I admit to two hours of
> brain-off-the-hook fun. Didn't have to > > Mistie it. Dean did that himself.>
> Received Mail Content ]----------> > > > Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Stephen
> Baldwin (was Dragon Wars)> > > > Date : Mon, 26 Jan 2009 03:58:20 +0000> > >
> > From : keithbjohn...@comcast.net> > > > To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com> >
 or > > Island")> and> > Dean Cain (a whole bunch of cheesy dino flicks). Those
guys are in a > > bunch of really bad flicks. And while we're at it, today I
was > > myself (as always) lamenting the crappy movies that SciFi serves up. >
> One thing you note pretty quickly is that they seem to be going > > through
the cryptid and mythology books for inspiration. I mean, > > look at all the
films they've done in the last couple of years: > > Gargoyles, Harpies,
Gryphon, Wyvern, Basilisk, Minotaur, Baal: The > > Storm God, Chupacabra, Rock
Monster--the whole encyclopedia of myth > > and> legend. > > And then add in
Kaw (killer crows), Frankenfish, Boa vs. Python--you > > get the idea.> > > >
Baldwin, Lamas, and myths aside, the biggest problem is that all > > these
movies suck! Bad acting, bad writing, and really, really bad > > CGI. Every
monster they craft is worse than a the CGI in a five year oldvideo game.
Horrible!> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -------------- Original mes!
 sage ----------------------> > From: Aubrey Leatherwood> > > > > > Fri
day night into yesterday was one of those sweat shop writing > > > sessions
for> > me. > > > Couch, laptop, grilled meat, strong iced beverage, and remote
> > > control. Ahh> the> > > remote control... Useful when something is on...
Not so usefulyesterday. > > > Harpies! Yep, Harpies on Sci Fi. Now> > > > > >
Much of the folklore, mythology, even urban legend I've loved to > > > read
about since I was tiny, get made into SciFi Channel movies or > > > movies that
*make> it*> > to> > > SciFi. Harpies, gargoyles, dragons, Merlin (god I hate
sam neill > > > but i love miranda richardson), etc... I'm excited by the
prospect > > > of them all, which> is> > > why--as if I have the memory span of
a fruitfly--I watch (or try > > > to watch)> > these> > > programs. I
desperately want to suspend my disbelief for an hour > > > or two, get lost in
a story, then come back from my odyssey > > > refreshed and entertained. I> >
am,> > > yes people, a damn idiot!> > > > > > In comes Stephen B!
 aldwin. > > > > > > I've been trying to figure out how to phrase it for some
minutes > > > now, and> > can't> > > seem to do so. I feel like an atrocity has
been visited on me. How > > > does this> > guy> > > continue to get work, and
why does a ton of it end up on Sci Fi? > > > Why? This> guy> > > has made two
hundred and seventy million movies. What deal has he > > > made or perhaps one
of his more talented brothers (take your pick > > > from the pill> > poppin,> >
> punch throwin, drunk dialin baldwin grab bag) with the devil to > > > persist
in> > this> > > nonsense.> > > > > > In Harpies he was an NYPD cop that went
back in time after > > > accidentally get> > some> > > amulets and inserting
them into a glowing egg of some sort. Back > > > in time he demands entry into
the Lord's castle by demanding that > > > he let Nicky from the NYPD in. It
gets worse, but I won't describe > > > anymore to you. I don't have> to,> > >
even if you haven't seen it, you know how bad it !
 is.> > > > > > This pointless, directionless rant brought to you by th
e letter C > > > for craptastic.Aubrey