I would like to give an aggregated reply to the discussions around
having formatting strings with {{{markers}}} to be part of #subobject
declarations.

Decision: we will not implement this.

Reason: MediaWiki has templates for doing exactly this. SMW will not
replicate available functionality. To get "subobjects with custom
formatting" one can create a template that produces the format based on
input parameters. This template can then include a #subobject call. This
solution is more powerful (you can have arbitrarily complex formatting
in templates without syntactic restrictions), much more robust (no
conflict of {{{markers}}} and no hacks in the MediaWiki parser to use
this syntax), readily available without any implementation work and
already familiar to users without additional training. :-)

Cheers,

Markus