Am 01.11.2011 20:11, schrieb Jon Lang:
> Thank you; this gives me a means of illustrating my point.
>
> Take the example of my name as given by Marcus:
>
> Jon Lang{{#subobject name|personal=Jonathan|nickname=Jon|family=Lang}}
>
> In order to set up a Semantic Glossary that uses Jon Lang as the term
> and information from {{#subobject
> name|personal=Jonathan|nickname=Jon|family=Lang}}to build a definition,
> you would need a person to intervene, as there are no semantics
> connecting the former to the latter: human intuition can make the
> connection, but a machine lacks the necessary tagging to do so.
> Contrast this with:
>
> {{#subobject name|personal=Jonathan|nickname=Jon|family=Lang|Jon Lang}}
>
> In this case, it would be trivial for a machine to deduce that Jon Lang
> should be the term associated with the definition that's built from the
> rest of the #subobject.

The semantic object you are assigning values to here is derived from
'name', e.g. if the above parser function call where to appear on the
page 'Jon Lang' the call would result in a semantic object 'Jon
Lang#name'. If you instead want to assign values to the properties of
'Jon Lang' you can do so by using the usual notation on the 'Jon Lang'
page, e.g. having [[personal::Jonathan]][[nickname::Jon]] and so on.

Now, if you wanted to setup a Semantic Glossary entry for John, what I
would do is something like
{{#subobject:glossaryentry|Glossary-Term=Jon|Glossary-Definition=Jonathan
Lang|Glossary-Link={{PAGENAME}}}}
and I would be very happy that none of this actually produces any output
because I don't want to have that stuff appear on the page of the person.

BTW, as an afterthought, there already are quite some parser functions
that do not produce any output. In fact, it would be very awkward if
they did (e.g. [1], [2], [3]).

Cheers,
Stephan

[1]