On 01/11/11 00:54, Jonathan Lang wrote:
> Markus Krötzsch wrote:
>
>> I would like to give an aggregated reply to the discussions around having
>> formatting strings with {{{markers}}} to be part of #subobject declarations.
>>
>> Decision: we will not implement this.
>>
>> Reason: MediaWiki has templates for doing exactly this. SMW will not
>> replicate available functionality. To get "subobjects with custom
>> formatting" one can create a template that produces the format based on
>> input parameters. This template can then include a #subobject call. This
>> solution is more powerful (you can have arbitrarily complex formatting in
>> templates without syntactic restrictions), much more robust (no conflict of
>> {{{markers}}} and no hacks in the MediaWiki parser to use this syntax),
>> readily available without any implementation work and already familiar to
>> users without additional training. :-)
>>

> If the decision has already been made, then so be it.  But let me just put in
> a dissenting opinion: subobjects themselves are redundant in much the same
> way that you say that online templates would be: there's nothing that you can
> do with a subobject that you can't do with a separate page.

Ok, fair point. The explanation should then include that SMW is
conceived as a data management extension, but tries to keep small on
data formatting/visualisation. So the real reason is the overall project
goal.

But with the new functions in place, it is easy to make many
#subobject-like parser functions with all kinds of extra features. The
file implementing #subobject is hardly a 100 lines and most of it could
be re-used for building modified versions of it.

Markus