Markus Krötzsch wrote:

> Ok, fair point. The explanation should then include that SMW is conceived as
> a data management extension, but tries to keep small on data
> formatting/visualisation. So the real reason is the overall project goal.

Fair enough.  That said, it's a data management extension to an application
that is centered on human readability, which means that data
formatting/visualization carries a higher priority than it would for a strictly
data management application.  That said:

> But with the new functions in place, it is easy to make many #subobject-like
> parser functions with all kinds of extra features. The file implementing
> #subobject is hardly a 100 lines and most of it could be re-used for building
> modified versions of it.

This is a very true point.  Then again, creating a spinoff of #subobject
strictly to add an optional visualization feature to it feels a little awkward.
 Still, it would be a good learning experience.

Could we at least get a positional parameter for #subobject that simply
replaces the data?  No "inline template parameters" or anything fancy; just a
straight "display this wiki code instead of what you'd normally show":

{{#subobject name
  | personal=Jonathan
  | nickname=Jon
  | family=Lang
  | title=Mr.
  | Jon Lang
}}

It's not as versatile as I'd like; but at least it lets the page author
seamlessly integrate the machine-readable data into the human-readable text of
the page without having to create a (single-use) template page to format it the
way he wants.