Hi Alan,
If you suspend those graphite shafts on two points (V-blocks, etc.) you will note some run-out but usually less than observed in steel shafts. Obviously (not trying to preach to the choir here) the differences in materials and manufacturing processes will produce different results in the rudimentary equipment that we are trying to be scientific with. I have to say however that I have found curiosities with sheet wrapped graphite shafts that I have not come across in steel shafts (and likewise....). For example: In the last 5 years or so that I have been examining shafts I have come across the occasional sheet wrapped shaft with three hard sides that are not symmetrical. Thus, all of our agreed upon alignments get redefined for those special situations. Of course, it always pops up on the ocassion where the customer wants his or her 3 wood the next day and there is no turn-around time for the parts.

Some of the other questions you invited me to jump in on:
"Besides curvature (or residual bend) what other anomalies are we talking about here?"

I just gave an example above - CB

"How do they affect the behavior of a golf club when it is swung?"

The $64,000.00 question. Hopefully, Dave T's Iron Byron results will provide some answers. There already has been some robot testing done in the orient by an Australian clubmaker named Danny Seng. His results suggest that different orientations produce different shot patterns. - CB

"And how is it that a 'spine finder' identifies them?"

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Bearing finders will identify both differences in wall thickness and curvature as a spine so it often comes down to feel and experience to make the judgement. The bottom line is "how can I build the best product for the customer". - CB

Hope I helped,

Best,

CB