----- Original Message -----
From: "tflan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: NBP-COG

> Well, we can agree to disagree on this point. All I'm saying is that its
> virtually impossible, given our assembly practices, to set a head on a
shaft
> at a precise spot. Its simple to visualize. Imagine 360 degrees marked
> around a shaft tip that's .335" in circumference. The lines would be atop
> one another. You simply cannot do it accurately. You may be able to locate
> the "hard spot" with whatever device you're using but getting it precisely
> located at say 2:00 is nigh to impossible.

I am not sure I agree.  How close can you get a grip to being in the right
spot?  I frequently use ribbed grips so it's important to get the top
alignment mark right at 12:00.  And same with the flat spot of a putter.
It's a pain in the butt, pun intended, but I usually can get it right.  And
a head is a lot easier to fiddle with during gluing than a grip that's a
little off.

On irons I use the score lines as a starting point.  On woods, I find the
graphics on the sole usually run due east-west.  So with those I hold the
club out in front of me, sole closest to me, face skyward, and shaft
pointing away.  I do my best to hold the head with the graphics dead plumb,
then sight down the line and gingerly rotate the shaft till my 9:00 mark is
straight up.  Then extra-gingerly try to set the club down for drying.

Then do it 3 or 4  more times cause it felt like it moved when I was
handling it.  LOL.

I use shafting beads because they make it easier to handle the club at that
point without it so easily rotating off the mark.

5 degrees is a lot of rotation.  I would bet I get my mark glued up within
+/- 2 degrees, and maybe 1.

If I really am that good, :), then the next question is how accurately can I
get the shaft marked.  I think I get the mark made accurately too.  BUT...
The most vague part of the whole operation for me is deciding where to put
the mark.  Steel shafts with bends are easy in my program.  But graphites
usually have a pretty wide NBP in my bearing finder.  I can see why the NF
would improve that.

SO, I think I can draw the line and glue to the line pretty well.  Not so
confident about finding the damn spot to mark in the first place though.

Doug Clark