Robert (and others who may be interested):
I have articles on FLO (not flow) and spine at:
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/shafts/FLOphysics.php
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/shafts/allAboutSpines.php

They contain a lot more than just your questions -- a LOT more. But let me take a shot at the short form of the answers to your questions. If you want more detail, read the articles.