On Friday 09 Sep 2011 10:55:03 am Kragen Javier Sitaker wrote:
> Maybe you should share a generator with them as well as a vacuum cleaner.
> <http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM125101348P?prdNo=14&amp;blockN
> o=14&amp;blockType=G14> advertises an 800-watt generator for US$128, which
>  should be enough to run one small vacuum cleaner at a time, or light up
>  several houses at once.  I think those are cheaper here in Argentina but I
>  can't point you at websites.  How much do they cost in India?

Nearly 18 years ago I bought a 900 VA (750 Watt?) generator for about 20,000
Rupees. That is about US $ 400. It still costs about that much. At full  load
it uses up 1 liter of petrol an hour

We don't have too many power cuts these days, but about once a year I use it
to charge up the emergency lighting batteries if we have had a power outage
for over 2-3 hours, or occasionally to run a water pump of coffee maker.

I have a 1000 Watt Vacuum cleaner which would not run on this generator.

I can get a desktop computer and fridge plus a few lights to run on it - but
"several houses" would get only about a couple of bulbs each.

>Cleaning rugs with a vacuum cleaner is a lot easier than beating your rugs
>periodically, and the rugs last longer.

Rugs are exceedingly uncommon in hot, dusty South India. they make homes and
floors hotter. Bare floors are cleaned with brooms and swabbed with a mop.

shiv