I'D RECOMMEND A THROAT CULTURE FOR FUNGOUS.ESP ASPERGILLOSIS.

DR. DAVE

  _____

From: silver-list-requ...@eskimo.com [mailto:silver-list-requ...@eskimo.com]
On Behalf Of marmar...@bellsouth.net
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:14 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Lung trouble

I thought I'd canvas the intelligent people on this group for some ideas to
help my husband.  He has trouble breathing, and doctors don't seem to be
able to help him.  The breathing difficulty occurs with any exertion at all,
and also when he bends over as in to tie a shoelace.  He's had x-rays of his
lungs, and the doctors have told him that he has Histoplasmosis -- but that
that is not causing his breathing difficulty.  The doctors (pulmonologists)
said that basically what's wrong with his lungs is that they're 75 years
old.  I know a lot of 75-year old people who have no trouble breathing, so
that doesn't cut it with me.  They prescribed inhalation products for him,
but they did not help.  Some background:  he was a firefighter for thirty
years, he was a very heavy smoker for at least as long (but hasn't smoked in
twenty-five years), and most recently he ran two poultry growing houses for
thirteen years.  So his lungs! have h ad plenty of abuse. He is otherwise a
healthy and strong individual, about ten lbs. overweight with a bit of a
paunch but not a lot.  If his lungs aren't diseased, except for the
Histoplasmosis, then what is causing the breathing difficulties?  If anyone
has any ideas to share, we'd be grateful.  Oh -- one other thing -- his
father died from emphysema.  I don't know if that disease is genetic or not,
or if it predisposes him to lung trouble.  But he's not been diagnosed with
emphysema -- or least no one has told us so.  TIA.  MA