  From: Dave
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2007 1:53 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>Lung trouble

    I don't buy the the age aspect as I am almost that old and I took care of a
very similar breathing problem.
  In 1980 when Mt Saint Helens blew it's top I was up there to help in rescue.
I worked all day in the dust without any dust mask. My lungs felt heavy for
years but I didn't have any breathing troubles at that time as well as being an
auto Mechanic with breathing a lot of asbestos from brake work so you see abuse
wise I've been there and done that except for smoking which I have never done.
    I ride a bicycle for exercise and there is a hill on my route that I would
get so out of wind I would get dizzy when riding up it almost to the point of
falling off the bike. I was also out of breath tying my shoes and when going to
the bathroom in the middle of the night  I would breath so hard from the
exertion that when I got back into bed I thought it would waken my wife.

    At that point I started taking vitamin C and l-Lysine at 6 grams a day
each. On the third day I rode over the hill and didn't notice it was there as
far as breathing was concerned. The other breathing problems stopped also. At
the same time I took a course of CMO followed by Glucosamine  Chondroiten  and
MSM to rebuild my joints which made it so I didn't have to hold my breath with
exertion and exacerbate the breathing problem. I didn't have to groan when
arising from my chair or getting up from the floor when working on a car.
    No intelligence here just my experiences.
  Dave

  marmar...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    I thought I'd canvas the intelligent people on this group for some ideas to
help my husband.  He has trouble breathing, and doctors don't seem to be able
to help him.  The breathing difficulty occurs with any exertion at all, and
also when he bends over as in to tie a shoelace.  He's had x-rays of his lungs,
and the doctors have told him that he has Histoplasmosis -- but that that is
not causing his breathing difficulty.  The doctors (pulmonologists) said that
basically what's wrong with his lungs is that they're 75 years old.  I know a
lot of 75-year old people who have no trouble breathing, so that doesn't cut it
with me.  They prescribed inhalation products for him, but they did not help.
Some background:  he was a firefighter for thirty years, he was a very heavy
smoker for at least as long (but hasn't smoked in twenty-five years), and most
recently he ran two poultry growing houses for thirteen years.  So his lungs!
have h ad plenty of abuse. He is otherwise a healthy and strong individual,
about ten lbs. overweight with a bit of a paunch but not a lot.  If his lungs
aren't diseased, except for the Histoplasmosis, then what is causing the
breathing difficulties?  If anyone has any ideas to share, we'd be grateful.
Oh -- one other thing -- his father died from emphysema.  I don't know if that
disease is genetic or not, or if it predisposes him to lung trouble.  But he's
not been diagnosed with emphysema -- or least no one has told us so.  TIA.  MA