thanks Mike great info,
Debbie

________________________________
From: Mike Monett <silverl...@pstca.com>
To: "silver-list@eskimo.com" <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, January 26, 2010 10:36:33 PM
Subject: Re: CS>Help me get my daughter and wife to take CS

  > Here's my  problem. My daughter has the flu and my wife  is coming
  > down with a cold.

  > Neither one  will drink the CS because they have  drunk  it before
  > and hate the metallic taste. I really don't notice much  taste, it
  > just seems a little flat to me, so no big deal for me.

  > My daughter  tried  mixing it with Gatorade once,  but  was really
  > upset with  me because I 'ruined' perfectly good  Gatorade  and it
  > tasted gross.

  > Any suggestions on how to make it more palatable to finicky family
  > members?

  The metallic  taste  comes from silver hydroxide  produced  when the
  hydroxyl ions from the cathode reach the anode and combine  with the
  silver ions. The equation is

    Ag(+) + OH(-) --> AgOH

  Assuming a  low current density, silver ions that reach  the cathode
  will plate  out  instead of making AgOH. So  the  anode  will become
  black from the AgOH, and the cathode will be dull gray.

  You can  tell how the process is working by noting the color  of the
  tissue after wiping the electrodes at the end of the brew.

  For a  more detailed description, please see the theory  page  on my
  web site at http://www.pstca.com/silversol/theory/cstheory.htm

  If you  stop  the brew before the ions reach  the  anode,  you won't
  produce AgOH, or only a very small amount..

  The resulting  cs  will have the highest ionic content  that  can be
  reached with  your  electrode geometry, quality of  dw,  and current
  density. This means it is the most effective you can make.

  It will have absolutely no taste, which is what you need to convince
  your family to take it.

  However, there  is  a serious problem with  contamination  on silver
  electrodes.  The  electrolysis  process  atomically  cleans  the
  electrodes. This makes them much more sensitive to any contamination
  in the vicinity, such as sulphur from automobile combustion  and the
  vapor trap in the kitchen sink.

  Putting the  generator in an air-tight plastic bag when  not  in use
  can help reduce the contamination. I put my generator in the freezer
  compartment of a new, unused refrigerator. The sub-zero temperatures
  keeps humidity  frozen,  which make it  impossible  for  the tarnish
  action of sulphur.

  A second  trick  to slow down the ions  from  reaching  the opposite
  electrodes is to wait 15 minutes or 1/2 hr after pouring the dw into
  the generator. This allows the turbulence to settle and the water to
  become still before starting the brew.

  The difficulty this can present is some forms of  contamination will
  leach from  the electrodes if they are sitting in the  dw.  This can
  increase the  conductivity  by a significant amount  and  affect the
  brewing process.

  Finally, when  you have made the highest concentration  possible, do
  the salt  test  to verify the strength  of  the  concentration. This
  means to  pour a small amount of cs into a shot glass and add  a few
  crystals of canning salt. The salt will combine with the silver ions
  and The Silver List and Off Topic List archives are currently down...

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>