Stephen wrote:

> > If there are 2 nm particles in the colloid, the Zetasizer has no problem
> > finding them.
>
> The scales don't even start [on the products you chose] below 3.7nm -- and
> there is "0" data smaller than 27nm shown!

That is what is called "auto scaling", modern scientific instruments do that
sort of thing. If there is no data, then nothing is reported.

Please notice on the Smalltest sample, the auto scaling choose a minimum value
to report of 1.3 nm.

> My comments were directed to the reports you had previously published on
> your website, not something just concocted to rebut an argument!

Auto scaling works the same on all the runs, it is a standard feature that is
always enabled.

> Then, what do you suppose happened to the particles that were visible, if
> only faintly, in the Tyndall prior to evaporation?

Since the particles of silver oxide outnumber the "real particles" by several
million to one, they simply make observation of the "real particles" very
difficult, if not impossible.

> The Zetasizer was designed for particle sizing in "bulk analysis", NOT
> particle characterization -- as I was informed.

Bulk analysis means the aggregate solution, which is precisely what is desired
for particle size distribution. Size distribution is but one parameter of
complete characterization of colloidal particles, and a very important
parameter. Zeta potential is another very important parameter in characterizing
colloids.

> No, Frank, not evaluation; just raw data.  No Qualitative analysis whatever!
> And no pH data....

Sorry about that, the pH data will be forthcoming shortly, I wanted to get a
new pH probe operational and doing so has not been the highest priority.

The pH data does not change any of the data presented and makes no material
change to the picture that can be drawn from the information presented thus far.

> No, it doesn't demonstrate that that.... [As I said above] the scales don't
> even start below 3.7 nm

See the brief description of "auto scaling" above.

> Again, not so, the Zetasizer does not "see" particles in the nanometer
> range -- per Malvern Instruments.

A rather misinformed comment, wouldn't you say, given the fact that there is a
size distribution plot that clearly shows a huge volume peak at 2.4 nm that is
available for all to see at:

http://www.silver-colloids.com/Misc/Smalltest.html

Given your exceptional eyesight (able to see micron particles with the naked
eye), you too may be able to see the numbers on the plot and in the
corresponding table of values on page 2 of the size report.

Please notice the table lists 1.3 nm as the smallest reported value.
Isn't auto scaling a wonderful thing!

> Great, it's something to look forward to....

I will take that as a positive comment, thank you!

frank key