Nina Silver wrote:

> [...]

I am not sure you can reach that conclusion.  The whole grain is always going to
be healthier than one in which the germ has been removed, and both are missing a
lot of vitamins.  Simply adding the germ and vitamins would easily account for
the difference.  It is true that the molecular structure is changed, molecular
structure is always changed by heat.  That is what cooking does to food.
Puffing is exactly the same mechanism that pops popcorn.  The only difference is
that in popcorn the husk forms the releasable container that ruptures when the
steam pressure is high enough, and when puffing other grains, it is done by
placing in a contain in which the pressure is suddenly released.  When the
pressure is suddenly released the puffed grains fly out of the container
(remember the "shot out of cannons" that Quaker use to use in their
advertising?).

If puffing causes grains to be unhealthy, then the same would apply to popcorn,
which I do not believe it does.

Marshall