Dear Jonathan,

  You said:

<<The abstract you posted is remarkable.  Could you possibly post more
about that?  I am very curious to know how this woman ingested so much
silver as to develop argyria, and to know why such an extensive autopsy
was conducted.   The whole story would be tremendously useful to members
on this list;  if you buy the MedLine report it would be a great
service.   Few postings on this list have been as relevant as this one,
in my opinion. >>

   The ful article is not available online but is available in the following
libraries
below.  Perhaps we have a list member who is local to one of these libraries
and can pursue this.

Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library
Print Collection

Medical University of South Carolina Library
Print Collection

Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library Demonstration Site
Print Collection

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine/Milton S. Hershey Medical
Center
Print Collection

Stanford University - Lane Medical Library
Print Collection

the University of Wisconsin - Madison Health Sciences Libraries
Print Collection

University of Alabama at Birmingham Lister Hill Library of the Health
Sciences
Print Collection

University of Arizona Health Sciences Library
Print Collection

University of Calgary Health Sciences Library, Canada
Print Collection

University of Colorado Health Sciences Center/Denison Library
Print Collection

University of Connecticut / Health Center / L.M. Stowe Library
Print Collection

University of Florida Health Sciences Center Library
Print Collection

University of Nebraska Medical Center Mcgoogan Library
Print Collection

University of New Mexico Health Sciences Library
Print Collection

University of Virginia Health Sciences Library
Print Collection

Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Print Collection

West Virginia University Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center
Print Collection

Brain involvement in generalized argyria
Clinical Neuropathology, 3: 1, 1984 Jan-Feb, 32-6

> Abstract
> Cutaneous argyria was diagnosed in a 59-year-old woman. Manic depressive
> psychosis developed at about the same or a short time thereafter. The
> patient died 6 years later from a ruptured aortic aneurysm. At autopsy
> silver deposits were seen in skin, mucous membranes, heart, kidney, and
> liver. In the central nervous system the leptomeninges and choroid
plexuses
> contained silver granules. In addition, silver granules were visualized in
> the walls of many intraparenchymal vessels, particularly of the basal
> ganglia, hypothalamus, substantia nigra, and cerebellum. Progressive glial
> changes and cellular gliosis were evident in many areas of the brain. With
> the electron microscope the deposition of silver granules in basal
membrane
> structures of the choroid plexus and intracerebral vasculature was amply
> confirmed. Furthermore, silver deposition was seen in brain parenchymal
> cells inside bodies of apparently lysosomal nature. The silver content of
> various brain regions was determined by absorption spectrophotometry.
>
> Dietl HW; Anzil AP; Mehraein P

Regards,
Catherine