Dear Mike,

  You said:

<<  Oh, great. 3 nines are not enough - he uses FOUR of them! And relies
  on the  heavy current drain to bring the voltage down.  Anybody want
  to hazard  a guess how much current a 9V alkaline can  deliver? It's
  well into  the  Amp range. Some generator. Not a clue  about  how to
  make cs. He might as well add some salt to speed it up.

  That page  will bring a lot of people asking - why does  my  cs turn
  black?

  Actually, if he added a 100k resistor in series, and used 3 ft of 12
  ga cut  in half and folded into a "W", he would be  making  the same
  thing we  are talking about now. And the batteries  would  last much
  longer.>>

  **  This is just a beginners' tutorial.   There's time afterwards to
refine the process - after they understand.

   One of the problems with developing a FAQ is that it is difficult to get
the majority of people to agree on everything.

  Jason is quite knowledgable.  I'm sure he'll speak up here in response to
this.

Regards,
Catherine