John - though you are clearly well-intended, your insistence that there is "A" truth about diet and meat is just nonsense. There are studies up the wazoo on both, actually on many sides of this issue, and you can find and site the ones that fit your point of view, and insist on that as truth - which it seems to be FOR YOU, or you can acknowledge that not all human beings and all human bodies are alike, and each needs to find what works best for them. There are people who absolutely need meat to be healthy. There are many people who are much healthier without it, and many people who can manage fine without it but for whom its not a horrendous thing. I would agree that it is hard to come upon healthful meat, if you can't grow/tend/feed it yourself and know what you're eating. Just as is also the case with all fruits and vegetables and grains. Even if you grow them yourselves you can't prevent contamination from air and rain. One factor not taken into consideration in some of the studies you mention exist in regards to meat is that part of the problem is what combinations of food you eat. If you eat meat only alone or in combination with raw veggies, never with grains or starches or fruits, it is much more easily digested by many folks. Need about six hours between eating meat and any form of grain or starch or fruit. Fruits never to be eaten with any other kind of food - though if you eat the fruit first, takes only 15 minutes for it to clear through your system enough to eat somethign else. Grains and veggies are fine to eat together. I guess what I'm getting at is there are so so many variables in this equation, and your approach is like a fundamentalist preacher, here is truth, and you're damned if you don't "believe". In my experience, each of us is able to pay attention to our own bodies and "hear" what it is we are needing at any given time, and that equation varies and evolves for many of us. Imposing something out of a "true belief' in one set of research or another can often be the MOST damaging thing one can do. Joy