On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 10:41:12AM +0100, Mike Tintner wrote:

> Nice list. Just one prob. - my guess is that for every such naysaying
> prophesy you could find five from overhopeful inventors prophesying that
> their invention would conquer the world & in the next n years. Turing?
> Minsky? Lenat? ... Not trying to be negative - just point out that life's
> complicated.

Absolutely. But Smalley's claim was that you can't make things
by numerically controlled chemistry, ever. And that's idiotic,
because there was plenty of evidence to the contrary when he
was still alive.

Similiar applies to the fact that appropriately structured
piece of matter can equal or rival a human-shaped piece of
matter as far as information processing is concerned.

There's no point trying to predict a time frame, though.