On 6/5/07, Eugen Leitl wrote:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

Hey, Bill Gates never said that!
And he gets angry if you quote it to him.

It is an out-of-context misquotation.

See: <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/15180#fn*>
which contains an email from Bill explaining the context and saying
he's fed up with denying he said it.

The origin is in a Bill Gates Talk on Computing from 1989.
<http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=39006>

You can listen to the whole talk if you want, but the exact 640k quote
from the talk is:

"So that's a 1 MB address space. And in that original design I took
the upper 340k and decided that a certain amount should be for video
memory, a certain amount for the ROM and I/O, and that left 640k for
general purpose memory. And that leads to today's situation where
people talk about the 640k memory barrier; the limit of how much
memory you can put to these machines. I have to say that in 1981,
making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for
10 years. <audience laughing>. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt
like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn't -
it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real
problem."

BillK