--- "Papiewski, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I disagree.  If even a half-baked, partial, buggy,
> slow simulation of a
> human mind were available the captains of industry
> would jump on it in a
> second.

True. But then again, the first half-baked, partial,
buggy, slow HTML browser came out in 1994, only four
years before the dot-com bubble.

> Do you remember when no business had an automated
> answering service?
> That transition took only a few years.
>

> No, the problem is, the theoretical framework of AI
> just isn't there.
> The AI academics have nothing to deliver.

Do you think that there was a theoretical framework
for an automated answering service sitting around for
twenty years before someone bothered to use it?

> Arthur C Clarke, a decent visionary, wrote (in
> fiction, in the mid-60's)
> that HAL9000 was commissioned in 1992, a comfortable
> 30 year lead time.
> In that time and since computer hardware has enjoyed
> many orders of
> magnitude improvement.

After all, if you can't trust a totally made up story
whose primary emphasis is entertainment and not
factual accuracy, who can you trust?

> AI software, in terms of
> human mentality, has
> remained dead in the water, a pretty boat with no
> motor, no sail, no
> oars and no rudder.

You might as well rail against the Manhattan Project
in 1940 because it had no reactor, no reactor
blueprints, no bomb, no bomb blueprints, little
funding and no fissile material.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;