On 6/4/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- "Papiewski, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Of all the work and research done on intelligent AI over the past 50+
> years, why do we not have software or even a description of software
> that simulates even childlike intelligence at a tiny percentage of
> realtime speed?

Well, I believe I have a description of software that will do this, when
all the details are worked out ... but without a proof (mathematical or
far better by demonstration!!), I realize this isn't
going to get anyone really excited...

Anyway, I think Peter Voss gave a nice answer to your question years ago, in

http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0513.html?printable=1

"
         Of all the people working in the field called
"AI<javascript:loadBrain('Artificial intelligence (AI)')>":

80% don't believe in the concept <javascript:loadBrain('Concept')> of
General Intelligence <javascript:loadBrain('Intelligence')> (but instead, in
a large collection of specific skills and
knowledge<javascript:loadBrain('Knowledge')>
)

Of those that do, 80% don't believe that artificial,
human<javascript:loadBrain('Human')>-level
intelligence <javascript:loadBrain('Intelligence')> is possible - either
ever, or for a long, long time <javascript:loadBrain('Time')>

Of those that do, 80% work on domain <javascript:loadBrain('Domain')>-specific
AI <javascript:loadBrain('Artificial intelligence (AI)')> projects for
commercial <javascript:loadBrain('Commercial')> or academic-political
reason<javascript:loadBrain('Reason')>s
(results are more immediate)

Of those left, 80% have a poor concept <javascript:loadBrain('Concept')>ual
framework...

"

-- Ben G