> What if the copy is not exact, but close enough to fool others who know
> you?
> Maybe you won't have a choice.  Suppose you die before we have developed
> the
> technology to scan neurons, so family members customize an AGI in your
> likeness based on all of your writing, photos, and interviews with people
> that
> knew you.  All it takes is 10^9 bits of information about you to pass a
> Turing
> test.  As we move into the age of surveillance, this will get easier to
> do.  I
> bet Yahoo knows an awful lot about me from the thousands of emails I have
> sent
> through their servers.

I can't tell if you're playing devil's advocate for monadic consciousness
here, but in
any case, I disagree with you that you can observe a given quantity of data
of the
sort accessible without a brain scan, and then reconstruct the brain from
that. The
thinking seems to be that, as the brain is an analogue device in which every
part is
connected via some chain to every other, everything in your brain slowly
leaks out
into the environment through your behaviour.

This theory reminds me of one I had as a young child; that you
shouldn't wet your toothbrush under a tap running into dirty water, because
the
bacteria could diffuse up the water column and adhere to the bristles. This
doesn't
actually happen, although the reason why it doesn't is probabilistic and not
nearly
as satisfying as the naive assumption that it must.

The analogy is a bit strained, but holds pretty well, I think. The tap is
the outside
world. The dirty water is the mind, and the putative bacteria are like
Minsky's
agents, interacting and trying to manipulate the water column, i.e.
communication
channel. Now even though the agent's may well be perfectly describable
things,
the chance of even one of them diffusing out of a noisy channel - while
great wads
of data are coming in the opposite direction and altering the mind's state -
is nil.
And so it will go for extracting a great deal of the brain's content by
observation.

I make no claims for what a super AI will be able to do if it can actually
talk to you.
It's the concept of reconstructing a computer by passive observation that
disagrees
with my mathematical intuition.

--
Nathan Cook