On 09/09/2007, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Nathan Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > > What if the copy is not exact, but close enough to fool others who
> know
> > > you?
> > > Maybe you won't have a choice.  Suppose you die before we have
> developed
> > > the
> > > technology to scan neurons, so family members customize an AGI in your
> > > likeness based on all of your writing, photos, and interviews with
> people
> > > that
> > > knew you.  All it takes is 10^9 bits of information about you to pass
> > > Turing
> > > test.  As we move into the age of surveillance, this will get easier
> > > do.  I
> > > bet Yahoo knows an awful lot about me from the thousands of emails I
> have
> > > sent
> > > through their servers.
> >

> > I can't tell if you're playing devil's advocate for monadic
> consciousness
> > here, but in
> > any case, I disagree with you that you can observe a given quantity of
> data
> > of the
> > sort accessible without a brain scan, and then reconstruct the brain
> from
> > that. The
> > thinking seems to be that, as the brain is an analogue device in which
> every
> > part is
> > connected via some chain to every other, everything in your brain slowly
> > leaks out
> > into the environment through your behaviour.
>
> You can combine general knowledge for constructing an AGI with personal
> knowledge to create a reasonable facsimile.  For example, given just my
> home
> address, you could guess I speak English, make reasonable guesses about
> what
> places I might have visited, and make up some plausible memories.  Even if
> they are wrong, my copy wouldn't know the difference.

You're right, of course. Although I think it might take a few iterations
before you could
be sure that nothing you put in had unintended consequences. Charles Stross
had
this happen in Accelerando for every single person for which 'sufficient'
data existed.
If this is practical and likely, we are correspondingly likely to be in such
a simulation
right now - a point he does not address.

I am rather more worried about people determining (for instance) whether I
dress to
the left or right by some inferential voodoo, and then publishing that
information. So, I
hope I am right!

--
Nathan Cook