> Also, this would involve creating a close-knit community through
> conferences, journals, common terminologies/ontologies, email lists,
> articles, books, fellowships, collaborations, correspondence, research
> institutes, doctoral programs, and other such devices. (Popularization is
> not on the list of community-builders, although it may have its own value.)
> Ben has been involved in many efforts in these directions -- I wonder if he
> was thinking of Kuhn.

Indeed, working toward the formation of such a community is one of the
motivations underlying the AGI-08 conference.   And also underlying the
OpenCog AGI project I'm initiating together with the SIAI, see
opencog.org

My prior efforts in this direction, such as

-- AGI email list
-- 2006 AGI workshop
-- two AGI edited volumes

have been successful but smaller-scale.

My feeling is that the time is ripe for the self-organization of a really viable
AGI research community.

In connection with AGI-08, we have put up a wiki page intended to
gather proposals and suggestions regarding the formation of a more
robust AGI community

http://www.agi-08.org/proposals.php

If any of y'all have relevant ideas, feel free to post them there.

I don't actually have a lot of time for community-building activities, as my
main focus is on Novamente LLC (and Novamente's work on AGI plus its
narrow-AI consulting work that pays my bills).  But, I try to make time for
community-building, because I think it's very important and will benefit
all of us working in the field.

I did read Kuhn back in college, and was impressed with his insight,
along with (even more so) that of Imre Lakatos, with his theory of
scientific research programmes.  In Lakatos's terms, what needs to be
done is to build a community that can turn AGI into an overall
"progressive" research program.  I discuss these philosophy of science
ideas a bit in the Hidden Pattern, and earlier in an essay

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2004/PhilosophyOfScience_v2.htm

Further back, I remember when I was 5 years old, reading a draft of
a book my dad was writing (a textbook of Marxist sociology), and
encountering the word "paradigm" and not knowing what it meant.
As I recall, I asked him and he tried to explain and I did not understand
the explanation very well ;-p ... and truth be told, I still find it a fuzzy
term, preferring Lakatos's characterization of research programmes.
However, Kuhn had more insight than Lakatos into the sociological
dynamics surrounding scientific research programmes...

-- Ben G