At 05:28 AM 1/25/2008, Gudrun wrote:

Quoting Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Gudrun:The obsessive compulsive 'artificial' project.

Can I ask what your thesis is about?

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;
c3b2

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your interest. I am happily telling you more about my project.

I am an artist who is interested in science, in utopia and seemingly
impossible projects. I also came across a lot of artists with OC traits. Besides that,
I am interested in ‘useless’ technology how it is defined by Steve Kurtz (
Critical Art Ensemble).
The OCAP, actually the obsessive compulsive ‘arctificial’ project ….

The idea of useless technology is developed in wearables more than in bioart. Steve's perspective is more political than artistic in regards to uselessness, don't you think? My paper which includes an interview with him is published in Technoetics (2007). But that probably explains some of your thinking because the fine arts is pretty much turned off to transhumanism and infers an elitism stemming from the ideas of people who support argumentation and indefinite lifespans. Most of my colleagues are professors in art institutions and we discuss this frequently and at length. In fact, I gave a lecture at the NABA in Milano last month and 80% of the student body said they wanted to live to 50 maximum. (I hope to lecture there more often and fortunately the head of the program is a pro transhumanism:-))

I look forward to reading about your work.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller