On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

The idea of useless technology is developed in wearables more than in bioart. Steve's perspective is more political than artistic in regards to uselessness, don't you think? My paper which includes an interview with him is published in Technoetics (2007). But that probably explains some of your thinking because the fine arts is pretty much turned off to transhumanism and infers an elitism stemming from the ideas of people who support argumentation and indefinite lifespans.

That is almost amusing as the Fine Arts are not exactly known for absence of elitism. Has our intellectual environment universally succumbed to some PC reactionary meme set?

Most of my colleagues are professors in art institutions and we discuss this frequently and at length. In fact, I gave a lecture at the NABA in Milano last month and 80% of the student body said they wanted to live to 50 maximum.

That is one of the saddest and most vile things I have heard in quite some time. Were the reasons why they said this explored?

- samantha