On Jan 20, 2008 3:06 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry if you've all read this:
>
> http://www.goertzel.org/benzine/extropians.htm
>
> But I found it a v. well written sympathetic critique of extropianism &
> highly recommend it. What do people think of its call for a "humanist
> transhumanism"?

Thanks Mike for highlighting this informative essay.

I think that first and foremost we must not embrace mystery. Ben
argues against oversimplifying, but are we honest in adding in details
that we don't sufficiently understand? For each irresponsibly added
detail brings us away from reality. Preferring a fabulous wrong
impression over a simple speckle of truth is not virtuous.

Humans don't have stable morality. They learn, they go mad. What is it
about evolutionary preprogrammed reinforcers that makes them
exceptional before other random concoctions? They have a good position
of power, many people obey them. If one argues for personal moral
freedom, it's not about enforcing freedom on others, it's about
liberating oneself from influence of others. There is no reason in
choosing a moral stance if you don't know what effect it will have.
Seek understanding if you want to hold back an existing moral plague,
including the part you embody yourself.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]